x Quick Exit Clicking on the Quick Exit button will bring up a Google search page so it is not immediately noticeable that you have been visiting our site, but it will not clear the SMEAPN website from the browser history or back button.

Get Support

Staying in charge of your life decisions

We all have the right to make our own choices on how we spend our money, where we live and who we see.  We want our choices to be respected and to live in a safe and comfortable environment.

For some older people, their wishes are not respected and they are taken advantage of by someone they know and trust.  This could involve a family member, carer or friend. No one should be treated this way.

This can look like:

  • Pressuring someone to make decisions that make them feel uncomfortable
  • Misusing someone’s finances beyond their authority to do so
  • Controlling whom they can see or where they can go

This could happen to you or someone you know.

Seeking Support

If you’re concerned this is happening to you or someone you know, there are free and confidential support services you can contact.  You’ll be speaking with a qualified person experienced in this area.

This one small step can make a world of difference.

In an Emergency, call the Police on Triple zero (000)

The police should be involved if there is an immediate risk of physical harm to family members or the older person.

Phone: Triple zero (000)


For Family and Relationship Support

Better Place Australia

Better Place Australia aims to enhance family relationships and prevent, manage and resolve family conflict.  Their services include family mediation, counselling, family therapy, elder abuse prevention and relationship education.

Phone: 1800 214 117


For Legal advice and information on your rights

Seniors Rights Victoria

Seniors Rights Victoria is a free service that provides information about the rights of older people.  They provide support, advice and education to help prevent elder abuse and safeguard the rights, dignity and independence of older people.

Phone: 1300 368 821


For Support at home

My Aged Care

The Australian Government’s My Aged Care service helps you to access services and find information in one spot for yourself, a family member or friend.

They can provide some help around the house or support if you think it’s time to look into aged care homes.

Phone: 1800 200 422


For Support with Powers of Attorney and future planning

Office of the Public Advocate (OPA)

The Office of the Public Advocate can assist with information about enduring powers of attorney, enduring guardianship and administration, medical treatment decision making and making an advance care directive.

Phone: 1300 309 337


To Stay Socially Connected

Your Local Council

Your Local Council provides social activities, community events, and special interest groups you can get involved with.

Kingston City Council

Bayside City Council

The City of Port Phillip

The City of Glen Eira


Your local U3A offers classes and social activities to help keep you active, make new friends, and share your skills and experience with others.

Kingston U3a

Bayside U3A

Port Phillip U3A

Glen Eira U3A